poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 1-10 of 175
PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  Mor  2 Apr 06 11:43PM Thread Closed

Much, ado about nothing, is frequently made by the pedant academic, with regards to any possible attempt to depart from the historic standard’s of the traditional sonnet formats, whose prescribed form, they insist, is time preserved, and therefore, carved in stone.

Never, it would appear, to be subject to the embarrassment, or defiled by the efforts of mere versifiers.
However, one thing, that versifiers such as I, and possibly many others, appear to have in common, is our total distain for academics in poetry.

Who, if their ponderous and self-indulgent statements are any indication, appears, to delight in the making and application of their own rules, more I would imagine for the good of academics themselves, than any reasoned benevolence towards the beneficial furtherance of poetry.

If William Shakespeare and many other poets had taken notice of such blinkered attitudes, how much poorer, would the English language, have been today.

My apologises for posting a poetic question in the personal friendship, and teenage angst columns of PC, but Donald Tetto in his wisdom, appears to have omitted a suitable vehicle for enquiry of such a poetic nature.

However, let us plod regardless time is of the essence.

Slowly, times hour, did pause, of its moment
To see all those sights, seeing, ne’er saw before
Where haste, with all, a findings ill judgement
Sped like, mind madly, through life’s open door.

Gives heed to no closure, gives ear to no cry
Rides on there regardless, as time’s moment go by.

For seconds they ride like wild horsemen abreast
Whilst ire in its moment, guard, like time’s Ippeis’

For desire it does ride, with well-burnished shield
Lone equestrian of reason, that life it so yield
As slow droplets of time, will’s its own water's clock
Life’s hieratical, heralds, its reasons to mock.

For like those “Four Horsemen of Acropolis” tale
What cause hears of Hecate, if life's howling avail.

Morchuis.

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  TheO1dCrow  3 Apr 06 12:05AM Thread Closed

mor is it true that the greatest mind that ever inhabitted this site left after you and netsky arrived? no bullshit poetry, just a quick yes or no.

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  unknown  3 Apr 06 1:14AM Thread Closed

Oh no, Crow!  Are you leaving?  Stay, STAY you great-minded, talented, yummy hunk of spunk.  Don't let them get to you aswell.  (To the windows, to the wall!  Till the sweat drop from my ....., Aowh skeet skeet, mothafucka.  Aowh skeet skeet, you ho..).

I have no idea why reading your comments and poems puts Lil Jon in my head.  I think there might be something in that for all of us..

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  Mor  3 Apr 06 3:42AM Thread Closed

> mor is it true that the greatest mind that ever inhabitted this site
> left after you and netsky arrived? no bullshit poetry, just a quick
> yes or no.

Well, I suppose a number of great minds may have left PC before, during and after Netsky, and I joined, both of us having been here some time.

I think, it would also be true to say, a number of extremely juvenile minds, have, also joined PC during that period.

I have not bothered to read the majority of your childish utterances, only wherein they were directed to me personally.

I can certainly see why certain members would appear to consider your disappearance as an active member of PC to be extremely desirable.

Your insults, combined with your childish and attention-seeking behaviour, does not bother me, it is merely an irritation, much like a troublesome fly, that one can swat whenever one wishes.

However, one would have hoped that at some point you would have matured out of your schoolboy state, sufficiently that is, to enable you to behave, at least of an age, that Donald Tetto considers is within the legal exposure of minors to an open site of this nature.

Like all juvenile schoolboys who fail in their un-taciturn approach in the mistaken belief of  apparent apathy by the onlooker, these childish exhibitors, or even in some cases their slightly older exhibitioners, being usually, much surprised, to find that when certain adults, turn on them, as a direct result, or in relation to the exhibited childish behaviour, the result can be quite bloody for the retardant schoolchild.

One scenario, if you are considered not proven to a treatable mental condition, would be to treat you like a pet monkey, much as an organ grinder does.
At least you will get the peanuts of attention that your performance so rightly deserves.

All you have to do is to prance around on the hurdy gurdy, as is your normal practice.

Morchuis.

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  unknown  3 Apr 06 3:59AM Thread Closed

> My apologises for posting a poetic question in the personal
> friendship, and teenage angst columns of PC

That's funny ^^

I reckon that forms can be adapted, but that the spirit of the form should be adhered to - it makes whatever you are writing about much more powerful.

The example of a sonnet is a good one - whilst I think that the rhyme and rhythm can be adapted to conform to the writer's wishes, I also think that the themes which are best represented in sonnet form tend to be love and life/death.

Some other forms though, like the haiku, would cease to be an haiku if someone wrote about the issue regarding love as an emotion, without a reference to nature.

And the same with villanelle - although I don't think that the interchanging lines need be exactly the same, it wouldn't be a villanelle if one stanza conveniently lacked the changing lines.

And etc., etc.

Of course, if a piece of writing is good, who cares about form?
-wendz

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  unknown  3 Apr 06 6:27AM Thread Closed

Shhhhhh.  Netsky and Mor must be asleep.  Please, PLEASE don't wake them up.

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  unknown  3 Apr 06 7:59AM Thread Closed

Well...I think (and here goes being shot down for opinion) that if a poem doesn't fit the 'rules' of a certain form then it is not of that form...for example, to call a page long poem with no rhyme a sonnet is just wrong. It doesn't distract from what could be a good poem if it is not a sonnet but why bother calling it such if it simply isn't? For example, you could go and watch a beautiful tango, perfect in fact, but if the dancer then said it was a ballet it would just be silly.

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  marieF  3 Apr 06 8:02AM Thread Closed

quit your rambling mor, we are not interested

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  unknown  3 Apr 06 8:04AM Thread Closed

bla bla bla

re: PC. “The Sonnet” and poetic Luddites.  Mor  3 Apr 06 8:54AM Thread Closed

> quit your rambling mor, we are not interested

Well MarieF,

Obviously a dual personality, if of little or no poetic merit

Having posted three poems of extremely poor quality, you have now elevated yourself to the position of “we”

A presumption if ever there was one.

Having brought your scurrilous efforts to my notice, I wish there was at least someway I could avoid them in the future.

This site is overloaded with rubbish such as yours.

So much so, I have even forgotten my customary good manners.

Morchuis.

Return To Index
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next

Recently Commented (expand)
1.085s