poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 1-10 of 77
failure as a popular poet  mikebauer  27 Jan 07 7:20PM Post Reply

there are three whitish cotton smudges on a vase across from me. the vase is in three sections, and each section curves inward; a tall vase, taking its form from bamboo.

the three smudges are reflections from the open window. are they part of the vase?

illustrations:

my failure as a poet: hearing sounds like i do, and thinking others hear them that kinetically too.

knowing the music i know, and the poems.

not writing about important things: insult and responsibility.

my organic style, not letting the reader out of it once he's started reading it.

each year, for a hundred years, twelve more readers, a crowd of fans, each calling 12 friends. hundreds, thousands, adding up; how many till i become another name in mindless norton's? -- i'm just another name to the class already.

question:

how must i change myself, before it's too late? what should i do to be a real poet?

re: failure as a popular poet  shortee  27 Jan 07 7:40PM Post Reply

I would help you. But i have no idea myself. Maybe we can figure it out together..... I'm going to keep up on this thread....because that's a great question.

re: failure as a popular poet  unknown  27 Jan 07 7:44PM Post Reply

AW c'mon Mike, just when we thought you were an opinionated asshole out comes the humble you.

re: failure as a popular poet  mikebauer  27 Jan 07 7:46PM Post Reply

you never asked for it. you never looked for it. it was always there. i'm surprised, cause i thought you guys would just slam this one too. i posted it for anyone that can respond.

> AW c'mon Mike, just when we thought you were an opinionated asshole
> out comes the humble you.

re: failure as a popular poet  unknown  27 Jan 07 7:53PM Post Reply

one question mike.... why do you only criticize other peoples work? why can't you tell them what's wrong with their poems and help them rather then make them feel like crap? you want help to be a better writer....you have to show that you care, before people show you how much they can care for you.


> you never asked for it. you never looked for it. it was always there.
> i'm surprised, cause i thought you guys would just slam this one too.
> i posted it for anyone that can respond.
>
> > AW c'mon Mike, just when we thought you were an opinionated asshole
> > out comes the humble you.

re: failure as a popular poet  mikebauer  27 Jan 07 7:57PM Post Reply

in the critical realm, i become the poet.

> one question mike.... why do you only criticize other peoples work?
> why can't you tell them what's wrong with their poems and help them
> rather then make them feel like crap? you want help to be a better
> writer....you have to show that you care, before people show you how
> much they can care for you.
>
>
> > you never asked for it. you never looked for it. it was always
> there.
> > i'm surprised, cause i thought you guys would just slam this one
> too.
> > i posted it for anyone that can respond.
> >
> > > AW c'mon Mike, just when we thought you were an opinionated
> asshole
> > > out comes the humble you.

re: failure as a popular poet  unknown  27 Jan 07 7:59PM Post Reply

Imo you can't just become a poet, you work the poem/s with an open heart and mind and let the outcome determine your own realtionship to poetry.
Now i will contradict myself and say that i think we all have the 'poet' in us.

re: failure as a popular poet  mikebauer  27 Jan 07 8:02PM Post Reply

i become the poet, reading it like the poet; watching him drive the poem, seeing where he takes it and where he veers off or just does circles in the back lot.

> Imo you can't just become a poet, you work the poem/s with an open
> heart and mind and let the outcome determine your own realtionship to
> poetry.
> Now i will contradict myself and say that i think we all have the
> 'poet' in us.

re: failure as a popular poet  mikebauer  27 Jan 07 8:10PM Post Reply

ok, to take it a step further, i want that kind of active reader reading me. not the comedy club.."HAHA, that's good", because i don't need to write for them: there's material out there for them, and lots of it. i don't want a critique from a passive reader. to push the metaphor, when i write it's like being at 200 mph, and i know how close i am to losing it in the wheels of some other poet or some good-time or boo-hoo pothole. i need the driving instructor, not the taxi passenger.

> i become the poet, reading it like the poet; watching him drive the
> poem, seeing where he takes it and where he veers off or just does
> circles in the back lot.
>
> > Imo you can't just become a poet, you work the poem/s with an open
> > heart and mind and let the outcome determine your own realtionship
> to
> > poetry.
> > Now i will contradict myself and say that i think we all have the
> > 'poet' in us.

re: failure as a popular poet  shortee  27 Jan 07 8:15PM Post Reply

we all need the driving instructor. not the passenger that thinks they know everything. you're absolutely right

Return To Index
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next


1.299s