poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 1-10 of 140
Let's understand the problem with belief.  bologna  23 Jan 07 3:05PM Post Reply

it is arbitrary.

most say belief is just something you accept. that is it's nature. a good argument that i cannot attack.

however. if one believes in god. why doesn't one believe in the unseen hippo. that swims in outerspace. that cannot be sensed. tasted. smelled. heard. touched. seen.

if i made a story of this hippo. wrote of its power and its morality. would that be reason enough to pray to the hippo. to wrap one's whole philosophy around the hippo.

clearly then. if one is to believe in god. one must not draw the line there. if you believe in god. you must believe in everything that is unseen. everything that cannot be sensed. because if you were to explain why you believe in god and not in the imperceivable hippo, you would become a hypocrite.

and if you do accept all of the unseen. then i want to live in your reality. show me the door. i always wanted a hippo as a god.

the most pressing implication of this non-finding. understanding god does not deal with belief. belief is rot. belief is bullshit. it cannot even support that which it heralds. obviously. to everything.

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  bologna  23 Jan 07 3:09PM Post Reply

and if you suggest that god can be perceived in ephemeral moments. then your talk of belief is further tainted. as once he can be perceived. no more belief is required. yet. those that talk of god being perceived in ephemeral moments will also talk of the "no matter what, god will always be about belief. there is no way around it."

bullshit further substantiated.

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  jeremybeadle  23 Jan 07 3:11PM Post Reply

tell me more about the hippo

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  bologna  23 Jan 07 3:17PM Post Reply

he wears puma shoes. of an undisclosed size.

he wears a bowler hat.

has a cane and a monocle and a handlebar mustache.

he despises the pringle man. considers him a threat to his existence

he is very aristocratic. yet enjoys the occasional pumpkin dinner.

he is hungry hungry. and a ferocious gobbler.

he attacks alligators.

he has sex with heidi klum.

his tummy is obtuse.

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  Isabelle5  23 Jan 07 3:25PM Post Reply

Why do you start a thread asking for people's beliefs and then tear them down as impossible before anyone responds?

If you only want a place to expound your views, be honest about it.  You don't really want to know what people believe.  You want a chance to find out what they think and then belittle the belief.

Honesty is always a good thing, Bologna.  Again with the religious and spirit stuff, have we not concluded that it's a losing thing to try to prove your points, for and against?

Isabelle, who believes what she believes and doesn't care what you believe as long as you don't pester me about it!

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  jeremybeadle  23 Jan 07 3:25PM Post Reply

well that sounds believable enough. where do i go to pray to him

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  jeremybeadle  23 Jan 07 3:26PM Post Reply

damnnnn isabelle...this thread ain't for you. Its for sane people

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  Isabelle5  23 Jan 07 3:26PM Post Reply

Where do you get the idea that if you can prove something, you can't believe in it anymore?  I believe in gravity and believe me, I perceive it every single flippin' day, so there goes your argument.

Why do you want so much to prove that people should not believe in a higher power?  That's a question I'd like YOU to answer.

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  mikebauer  23 Jan 07 3:45PM Post Reply

problem of belief is that it's how we live in the world... that the mind always orients itself towards an horizon, a landscape, and understands ideas to be part of the landscape too... the mind believes something, constantly, and it's easy to convince mind that there's something believable: we're looking for balance at all times. belief is how we can even sit in a chair: we believe it's going to be there when we sit down on it. it's the same thing, really: belief is belief, and the world is held together with it, and we're held together emotionally with it, and macdonald's wants you to believe that you're being nourished by their stuff, and the franchise churches have to get body count too.

but, even though we have to believe, we don't have to believe everything. and education is what we do in life when we find what works for us and what doesn't. some people have smaller spirits and need more comfort. other's have such big spirits that they believe everyone's good and everything and they share it. sometimes you find people with big spirit at churches, but way not always. mostly, you find people making lots of noise to drive away troubles.

> it is arbitrary.
>
> most say belief is just something you accept. that is it's nature. a
> good argument that i cannot attack.
>
> however. if one believes in god. why doesn't one believe in the
> unseen hippo. that swims in outerspace. that cannot be sensed. tasted.
> smelled. heard. touched. seen.
>
> if i made a story of this hippo. wrote of its power and its morality.
> would that be reason enough to pray to the hippo. to wrap one's whole
> philosophy around the hippo.
>
> clearly then. if one is to believe in god. one must not draw the line
> there. if you believe in god. you must believe in everything that is
> unseen. everything that cannot be sensed. because if you were to
> explain why you believe in god and not in the imperceivable hippo, you
> would become a hypocrite.
>
> and if you do accept all of the unseen. then i want to live in your
> reality. show me the door. i always wanted a hippo as a god.
>
> the most pressing implication of this non-finding. understanding god
> does not deal with belief. belief is rot. belief is bullshit. it
> cannot even support that which it heralds. obviously. to everything.

re: Let's understand the problem with belief.  bologna  23 Jan 07 3:50PM Post Reply

i am not attacking specific beliefs.

but all beliefs. they are all equally as arbitrary.

but like mike said. the world is belief. i believe that each day the sun will rise and the sun will set. science tells me that. but science also tells me that the sun could explode. thus. i want to remain happy. and i mold my belief into thinking the sun will rise and the sun will set. and my existence sustained.

yet. when people speak of god. they will never acknowledge the arbitrariness of their designs. rightfully so. god cannot be arbitrary. but he is. that is the problem.

i know i am being arbitrary. creating what i want. but do you?

Return To Index
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next


1.14s