poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 11-20 of 137
re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  28 Jan 07 7:51AM Post Reply

> > 1 John 4:2-4  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that
> > confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And
> every
> > spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is
> > not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have
> > heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
> Ye
> > are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater
> > is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
>
> Sayeth who? verily i say unto thee, John, not God

Exodus 17:14  And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

Revelation 1:11  Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

2 Timothy 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  nightengale  28 Jan 07 10:24AM Post Reply

oh this is fun. lets all throw verses at each other.

:)Julia.

Habakkuk 2:4b
The righteous will live by his faith.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  28 Jan 07 10:53AM Post Reply

ask not ye the question: is christianity the a vanity of man. Ask if man harbours the vanity of christianity, and if christ were able now to pose such a query: would today's man entrust such a manifestation , or should i seek a grl...f

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  CheBourdain7  28 Jan 07 4:02PM Post Reply

Christianity freakin rocks ! I'm not a religion guy, but I've got respect for religion in general. Sure there may have been bad things done in the past because of religion but the same can also be said about the pagans and the atheism. One can really learn a lot from Christianity, as a matter a fact some Christian values should definitely be preserved this day and age.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  28 Jan 07 4:59PM Post Reply

I think I must agree with Mor
true Christian is himself giaour
that would with Turkish word delight
a gibbous moon its convex bright.
Marks so the fleers those scorning gibes
that laughs and flouts man’s bold emprise
to dwell in composures of his mien
like so words giddy fashion of the mill
where idea’s that fairly flow, and yet despise
the mounted rostrum where sings the lonely bard
that would of Christian revelation fire his lost retard
upon the inumbrated darkness that others dwell
and intumulates the thought that nothing knows so well
in intimidation that a hereafter brings; intermication
that would of so, another’s Devil light, a seeming tell
copious outpouring; substance would of copper coffer fill
and yet wear so the cope that it were of the lawn
that in the quips and wanton wiles, those endless waves it rill
the "crean tarigh" that fiery cross of shame at dawn.
on Vagra’s banks, her crankling course now shone.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  28 Jan 07 7:34PM Post Reply

> > > 1 John 4:2-4  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that
> > > confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And
> > every
> > > spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh
> is
> > > not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have
> > > heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the
> world.
> > Ye
> > > are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because
> greater
> > > is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
> >
> > Sayeth who? verily i say unto thee, John, not God
>
> Exodus 17:14  And the LORD said unto Moses, Write this for a memorial
> in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly
> put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.
>
> Revelation 1:11  Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last:
> and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven
> churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto
> Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia,
> and unto Laodicea.
>
> 2 Timothy 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is
> profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction
> in righteousness:

You keep using Biblical quotations to try and prove that the Bible is divinely inspired, the error is most grievous, the Bible the Torah the Koran ( add your own divinely inspired book to the list ) are all the work of humans. If your belief system sustains you then that's well and good, but please don't insult our intelligence by making outrageous claims.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  29 Jan 07 2:28AM Post Reply

In the 1450's "Johannes Gutenberg is also accredited with printing the world's first book using movable type, the 42-line (the number of lines per page) Gutenberg Bible." 2007 About, Inc., A part of The New York Times Company

The importance of the Bible to the world should not be in dispute. Of all the books that could have been first to be printed Gutenberg chose the Bible.

The Bible consists of 66 books, 39 in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament.

A Bible Timeline (approximate dates)
4004 BC- 3004 BC Adam to Methusaleh
3004 BC - 2348 BC Ends with the Flood
2348 BC - 2004 BC Begins with the Flood
2004 BC - 1754 BC  Abraham
1754 BC - 1504 BC  Joseph in Egypt
1504 BC - 1254 BC  Exodus  
1254 BC - 1004 BC  Judges to Solomon
1004 BC - 754 BC Division of Kingdoms
754 BC - 504 BC Assyrian and Babylonian Captivities, Daniel
504 BC - 254 BC Esther
254 BC - 1 AD Ptolemies govern Jews, Rome governs Jews
1 AD - 250 AD Ministry of Christ, Scattering of the Jews

The Bible is not a single book but a continuum of writings by godly men and women spread over several thousand years inspired by the Holy Spirit to write down those things that God wanted mankind to know. The Bible is full of history, none of which has ever been shown not to be true. Far from it, many ancient civilizations have been uncovered because of testimony in the Bible. The Bible’s historic figures are true, the men and women in the Bible are true, and the entire Bible before and after Jesus points towards Christ as the savior of the world, the hope of our salvation. Christ’s life was real, is real, he performed miracles that have never been recreated before or after. He raised people from the dead, he healed people, he walked on water, and He knew things that he should not have known about people if he were just a man. He raised Himself from the dead and lived amongst the disciples for about 40 more days until he ascended to heaven. He has promised to return, those promises are written in the Bible and the Bible describes when He will return, where He will return, why He will return, and that He will be victorious.    

No other book in the history of the world stands up to scrutiny as the Bible does. The laws for living are within the Bible, including the eleventh commandment, John 13:34  A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. The path of salvation is spelled out in the Bible for all to see and understand:

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Romans 6:23a "...The wages of sin is death..."

Romans 6:23b "...But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Romans 5:8, "God demonstrates His own love for us, in
that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!"

Romans 10:13 "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved!"

Romans 10:9,10 "...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."

Revelation 3:20a "Behold I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him..."

John 1:12
"As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name!"

No one is educated without books. One has to learn to read, from books, and then to read many books that include text books, reference books, fiction and non-fiction, history, and all the other subjects. You trust that what you are reading is true, especially in text books, and you believe most of what you read in books (maybe not) because they have been published by authoritative and reputable sources. The Bible books were such important works that scribes spent lifetimes making copies of the text. It would have meant death to intentional alter the Bible because it was, and is, considered the very word of God. Christ Himself is referred to in the Bible as the Word of God.  John 1:14  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Bible is a set of nonfiction books that have stood the test of time and have been tested more than any other books in history for accuracy. I could go on and on about the truth of the Bible but this is all I will say about it, some people will not believe, Luke 16:31  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  29 Jan 07 2:41AM Post Reply

I doubt you'll receive anything but vain cynicism in response, but I admire you for your transparency and humility, unknown.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  29 Jan 07 3:47AM Post Reply

> I doubt you'll receive anything but vain cynicism in response, but I
> admire you for your transparency and humility, unknown.

Not cynicism, amazement.
When you tell a small child that there is no Easter Bunny they are upset for a while but soon accept the truth of the situation.
When you tell a religious zealot that their particular ism is just one of many claiming to be the truth, they go into denial by  'proving' they are correct by quoting some passages from their spiritual propaganda manual.

I do like John 13:34. NIce work there. If only we could.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  netskyIam  29 Jan 07 4:05AM Post Reply

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=1884

Mollychu asked there, "Why so literally?", in regards to the Landover fundies' close adhearance to the KJV, and to Jesus's NT words.

It's rather devastating.  I don't think I'd like to "know" Jesus.
It's for these reasons most Christian sects water down the gospel,
employing only the convenient parts for moral instruction.

sample of what's not generally taught, I can't preserve the numbered formatting here;
the pastor's numbered points run to 126.

the linked posting goes this way:

--------
[LIST=1][B]Matthew[/B]

[*]Those who bear bad fruit will be cut down and burned "with unquenchable fire."  3:10, 12
[*]Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn't the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament.  5:17
[*]Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice  is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits  adultery.  5:29-30
[*]Jesus says that most people will go to hell. 7:13-14
[*]Those who fail to bear "good fruit" will be "hewn down, and cast into the fire." 7:19
[*]"The children of the kingdom [the Jews] shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall  be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 8:12
[*]Jesus tells a man who had just lost his father: "Let the dead bury the dead."  8:21
[*]Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters  below. 8:32
[*]Cities that neither "receive" the disciples nor "hear" their words will be destroyed by God. It will be worse for them than for Sodom and Gomorrah. And you know what God supposedly did to those poor folks (see Gen.19:24).  10:14-15
[*]Families will be torn apart because of Jesus. "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the  children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death."  10:21

---

hmmm.  

Return To Index
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next

1.568s