poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 121-130 of 137
re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  Henry  4 Feb 07 10:25AM Post Reply

Oh...as a side note...We're called Christians...people who follow Christ...not Biblians...people who follow the Bible. I just thought of that and thought I should add it.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  Mor  4 Feb 07 2:19PM Post Reply

Here is poem that may interest some of you, it is taken from the 1916 edition of the Industrial Worker, and was written by John F. Kendrick and printed in their Little Red Song book of that year.

As a poem, I found it to be typically American both in its spelling and its grammar; however the sentiment seems to be suitably well portrayed,  it could  if so wished be sung  to the well known hymn “Onward Christian soldiers”

Onward, Christian soldiers! Duty's way is plain;
Slay your Christian neighbors, or by them be slain,
Pulpiteers are spouting effervescent swill,
God above is calling you to rob and rape and kill,
All your acts are sanctified by the Lamb on high;
If you love the Holy Ghost, go murder, pray and die.
Onward, Christian soldiers! Rip and tear and smite!
Let the gentle Jesus bless your dynamite.
Splinter skulls with shrapnel, fertilize the sod;
Folks who do not speak your tongue deserve the curse of God.
Smash the doors of every home, pretty maidens seize;
Use your might and sacred right to treat them as you please.
Onward, Christian soldiers! Eat and drink your fill;
Rob with bloody fingers, Christ okays the bill,
Steal the farmers' savings, take their grain and meat;
Even though the children starve, the Savior's bums must eat,
Burn the peasants' cottages, orphans leave bereft;
In Jehovah's holy name, wreak ruin right and left.
Onward, Christian soldiers! Drench the land with gore;
Mercy is a weakness all the gods abhor.
Bayonet the babies, jab the mothers, too;
Hoist the cross of Calvary to hallow all you do.
File your bullets' noses flat, poison every well;
God decrees your enemies must all go plumb to hell.
Onward, Christian soldiers! Blight all that you meet;
Trample human freedom under pious feet.
Praise the Lord whose dollar sign dupes his favored race!
Make the foreign trash respect your bullion brand of grace.
Trust in mock salvation, serve as tyrant's tools;
History will say of you: "That pack of G.. d.. fools.
Mor.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  4 Feb 07 2:28PM Post Reply

"No, he didn't create anything that is bad. We did that"
-unknown

Is evil bad? The Bible thinks so but guess who makes it:

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Isaiah 45:7

Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid?
Shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
Amos 3:6

"All of what Jesus said was good and wonderful."
-Henry

I see, you must support killing any child who curses his parents then:
For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
Matthew 15:4

As you can see, Jesus supports the Mosaic law and the killing of disobedient children.
So the question is, do you REALLY follow Jesus, knowing the Bible pretty well, I know you don't.. but that's beside the point..
I want you to look at verses like this and see for yourself that you actually don't follow Jesus, nor do you really know what he teaches.

There is more to Jesus than a small part of John 3:16..
Maybe you should read a little longer in the same chapter?

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life:
And he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
John 3:36

^ Once more, that's Jesus himself speaking.
For being such a nice guy; he sure threathens with eternal damnation and Godly wrath alot.

"Jesus is whom I follow...not the Bible. So...I guess if I really do pick and choose what to believe, I choose to believe Jesus and the stories he had to tell, and not the other parts of the Bible not concerning Jesus."
-Henry

I see. So you think you find Jesus teachings in any other place but the Bible? :)
In your own fantasies yes? This is exactly what I'm talking about, you're not a christian, you've made a Jesus of your own in your own image.
Almost every part of the Bible concerns Jesus and he thought so himself:

For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
John 5:46-47

I thought you cared about what Jesus thought? :)
Or is it that you simply don't know what the Bible says?
Jesus tells you to read the other scriptures, not just his own words, but you ignore that?
Then you ignore Jesus, simple as that.

"And I think I would put more stock in someone posting with a username, than someone who didn't. You sure typed a long enough response, which I'm sure took a bit of time to type...it wouldn't have taken much longer to sign-in"
-Henry

You mean create an entire username that would only be used for this debate and then be abandoned alltogether?
Stop being silly.

If you can't handle debate; then don't debate. If your words aren't suffienct; don't speak.
Don't start making excuses, and trying to intimidate people into silence.
That's a really low blow.

PS.
My hat goes off to you, Mor. Indeed a nice poem..
Filled to the brim with the kind of Christian love we've all come to expect. :)

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  netskyIam  4 Feb 07 3:00PM Post Reply

Unsigned poster of 9:32AM, previous page,

prevaricated in typical fashion, throwing off a red herrings in response to direct questions.

Predation is not "evil", and was not in the list of "bad things".

But, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,
I'll repeat the handy quote that a poster above kindly supplied.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Either the bible is the inerrant truth, or it is a pack of lies.
Christers, though, in "teaching" stuff that absolutely is NOT of the bible,
are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  4 Feb 07 3:50PM Post Reply

above kindly supplied.

Isaiah 45:7d of their sloppy methods.eaching" stuff that absolutely is NOT of the bible,
are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   usually, emo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.s are sanctified by the Lamb on high;
O
Here is poem that may interest some of you, it is taken from the 1916 edition of the Industrial Worker, and was written by John F. Kendrick and printed in their Little Red Song book of that year.

As a poem, I found it to be typically American both in its spelling and its grammar; however the sentiment seems to be suitably well portrayed,  it could  if so wished be sung  to the well known hymn “Onward Christian soldiers”

Slay yoBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

I foVrm the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Christers, though, in "teaching" stuff that absolome of you, it is taken from the 1916 edition of the Industrial Worker, and was written by John F. Kendrick and printed in their Little Red Song book of that year.

Slay yoBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

I foVrm the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.errant truth, or it is a pack of lies.
are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after beingBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.errant truth, or it is a pack of lies.
are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.repeat the handy quote that a poster above kindly supplied.

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" shoBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.repeat the handy quote that a poster above kindly supplied.

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.uld apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods. shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.repeat the handy quote that a poster above kindly supplied.

are dt the cross of Calvary to hallow all you do.
Mor.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  4 Feb 07 2:28PM Post Reply

-unknown

-Henry

For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

As you can see, Jesus supports the Mosaic law and the killing of disobedient children.
So the question is, do you REALLY follow Jesus, knowing the Bible pretty well, I know you don't.. but that's beside the point..
I want you to look at verses like this and see for yourself that you actually don't follow Jesus, nor do you really know what he teaches.

And he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

For being such a nice guy; he sure threathens with eternal damnation and Godly wrath alot.

"Jesus is whom I follow...not the Bible. So...I guess if I really do pick and choose what to believe, I choose to believe Jesus and the stories he had to tell, and not the other parts of the Bible not concerning Jesus."
-Henry

I see. So you think you find Jesus teachings in any other place but the Bible? :)
In your own fantasies yes? This is exactly what I'm talking about, you're not a christian, you've made a Jesus of your own in your own image.

Jesus tells you to read the other scriptures, not just his own words, but you ignore that?

"And I think I would put more stock in someone posting with a username, than someone who didn't. You sure typed a long enough response, which I'm sure took a bit of time to type...it wouldn't have taken much longer to sign-in"
-Henry

You mean create an entire username that would only be used for this debate and then be abandoned alltogether?
Stop being silly.

If you can't handle debate; then don't debate. If your words aren't suffienct; don't speak.

PS.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  netskyIam  4 Feb 07 3:00PM Post Reply

prevaricated in typical fashion, throwing off a red herrings in response to direct questions.

But, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

elusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.ur Christian neighbors, or by them be slain,
Mor.

-unknown

-Henry

-Henry

-Henry

Stop being silly.

PS.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  netskyIam  4 Feb 07 3:00PM Post Reply

I'll

All your actBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

Eith

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after beingBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

Isaiah 45:7er the bible is the inerrant truth, or it is a pack of lies.

Either the bible is the inerrant trBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar

Isaiah 45:7" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.repeat the handy quote that a poster above kindly supplied.

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.uth, or it is a pack of lies.
Christers, though, in "teaching" stuff tha

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a above kindly supplied.

Isaiah 45:7d of their sloppy methods.eaching" stuff that absolutely is NOT of the bible,
are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.s are sanctified by the Lamb on high;
O

Christers, though, in "teaching" stuff that absol dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.errant truth, or it is a pack of lies.

Isaiah 45:7t absolutely is NOT of the bible,
are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.

Christers, though, in "tBut, inasmuch as Steven flatly says that all evil is of man, and guided by satan,

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to

Isaiah 45:7hose who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.errant truth, or it is a pack of lies.

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehoo

are delusionists or liars or revisionists of a dreamscrape.   All four, usually, imo, though I think "liar" should apply only to those who persist in fudgepacking even after being shown the falsehood of their sloppy methods.s are sanctified by the Lamb on high;
O

Isaiah 45:7ward, Christian soldiers! Eat and drink your fill;
File your bullets'

Isaiah 45:7noses flat, poison every well;
Mor.

-unknown

-Henry

-Henry

-Henry

Stop being silly.

PS.

Mor.

-unknown

-Henry

-Henry

-Henry

Stop being silly.

PS.

Either the bible is the in

Mor.

-unknown

-Henry

-Henry

For had ye believed Moses, ye would  above kindly supplied.

O

Christers, though, in "teaching" stuff that absolhave believed me; for he wrote of me.

-Henry

Stop being silly.

PS.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  4 Feb 07 5:14PM Post Reply

> >Hello netsky,
>
> >>Did he create anything that's bad?
>
> >No, he didn't create anything that is bad. We did that, with a
> little help from Satan and the fallen angels, on our own.
>
> Steven, I'll ask about only your first assertion.
> If god created everything on heaven and earth, and nothing bad, then,
> who/what created tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, lightning,
> wildfires, etc.   He created then, smallpox, dysentery, malaria,
> rickets, cancer, boils, mites, allergens, volcanoes, carbuncles,
> hangnails and ptomaine, tuberculosis, and so on and on and on?
>
> ?
> Did we create any or all of these quite-bad things I've listed?  
> Or is that satan's work?  If the latter, please cite scriptural
> references for any of these plagues.
>
> Oh yes--plague.  I forgot bubonic plague.  It was once a serious
> problem.  Smallpox too.  Works of man, god or satan?

Neither God nor Satan created them, I believe it was mankind. We were cast out of paradise. As I mentioned before I don't believe it is just the mind of man that is effected. The cause is sin but the effects were mind, body, and soul. A little like the supersition of global warming. In the beginning during the Garden of Eden it never rained, afterwards it did. Man is not in harmony with nature, we left our natural purpose and caused all hell to break loose. I don't have the answers to these mysteries, I am just speculating, but the bible seems to indicate that man also did not eat meat until after the fall. God allowed it then because after the fall it was hard to make a living (so to speak). In the garden everything was ordered and structured, then we were cast out, we then need shelter, clothes, to toil with the soil, child birth became difficult. There is more to sin than there seems, it leads to death and death is not natural for humans according to the Bible. We were the caretakers of the planet, now we are the planets plague.

Steven

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  4 Feb 07 5:29PM Post Reply

I'm not quoting the bible because I was asked not to, but one needs to look at the context of what one reads. Like buying a house and they say location, location, location...when reading the bible it should be context, context, context.

Nothing would have happened in human existence if it were not for God, nothing at all.

The Bible refers to Christ as the Word of God, before the beginning of the world He was.

Steven

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  4 Feb 07 5:43PM Post Reply

true enough - god is the catalyst of the universe

however, eveerything after is human imagination

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  Henry  4 Feb 07 8:13PM Post Reply

I didn't scare anyone into using a username...that was obviously not my goal. This is for the unknown who said it was a low blow. I would rather see that name of the user. Nor did I say that you should make a username just for this argument…that of course, as you said, would be silly. I think I had said, then someone might try making a username just for this argument, but I most certainly didn’t suggest it. Like you NetSky for example…you have a username, and to me at least, it makes all the difference. I can associate your comments and beliefs to your username.

Oh…and I can handle a debate…that’s why I’m still debating. And I’m not trying to make excuses in any way…I would rather people sign in so it makes it easier to associate the “unknown’s” beliefs to the same person…and so then I can just see who it is that is leaving the comment.

Matthew 15:4 Back in the day there was the Corban vow which meant, that instead of using money to support your elderly parents, you could instead give the money to the church. But, in doing so, the people went against the rule to care for his or her parents. The reason Jesus brought up…”and those who don’t honor their mother or father should surely die,” is because he was bringing up a rule of God that the Pharisees broke when following the Corban vow they’d concocted.  The Pharisees claimed they followed the rules of God, but they in fact did not.

“Thou shalt not curse thy father and mother. Or “thou shalt honor thy mother and father ” doesn’t mean to not swear at the parent or to listen to them unconditionally, but not taking care of the parent when he or she needs to be taken care of. And I would agree that that is a horrible child that would not take care of his or her parents if he or she could. They took care of you probably growing up, so you should do the same for them when they are elderly. So yes NetSky…I do agree that a child that doesn’t take care of his or her parents, should just as well die. Only of course, if they are able to care for the parents and decide not to, as the Pharisees do in this situation.  

NetSky:

There are obvious problems with the logic in the last statement. You can’t assume that because I haven’t read all the other scriptures, that I ignore Jesus completely. I have read many…but not all yet. I am still younger than 21…give me time.

I know full well by the way, that Jesus cited many of the prophets from the Old Testament. I believe in Moses of course…and he became good as well. I put less stock in the Old testament however…I have no clue as to whether the current edition of the bible, is the same edition Jesus knew when he was alive. I really don’t know if what he read, was the same that we read. He couldn’t cite the New Testament obviously, because it was a work in progress when he was alive. I believe much of the Old Testament, but I feel some of it may have been lost in translation and may have been added to, which there’s actually proof, even though it warns against it in revelations.

NetSky:

John 3:36…”and all who believe in God’s son have eternal life. Those who don’t obey the son will never experience eternal life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.

People that believe in Jesus HAVE eternal life…not that they will have it…they do have it. To receive eternal life is to join in God’s life, which by nature is eternal. I have a Bible that interprets in this way…if you don’t follow the teachings of Jesus (to love your neighbor, be charitable, give up your possessions (which I know very few willingly do) and a number of other things, than you are not following God’s teachings. There are other influences out there in other words (drugs, a life of crime, sex with anyone, lustfulness) that people can follow, but that won’t lead you to eternal life. If you follow what Jesus teaches, than you shall. Not that you have to follow Jesus…but you have to follow his teachings. And you don’t have to follow traditions either…that was a big emphasis here…just his moral teachings. Many religions promote the same things that Jesus promotes...so most relgions are very good and I'd support them just as I would my own.

re: Christianity is but the vanity of man.  unknown  4 Feb 07 8:37PM Post Reply

(long list of bad things snipped)...
> > Oh yes--plague.  I forgot bubonic plague.  It was once a serious
> > problem.  Smallpox too.  Works of man, god or satan?

Steven replied again to say that of all the natural disasters and natural afflictions besetting man and all of life on earth:

> Neither God nor Satan created them, I believe it was mankind.

Steven, I'm doubting your powers of reason.   Mankind could not create any of those things.    You're saying instead that he -caused them-.  OK.
So, say that mankind in sin caused all the bad things to come to pass.
WHO created the plagues?    Only "god".   Your "god".

Your failure in logic is profound.  The cause-and-effect here is as like crime and punishment:  two entirely different things.

As far as our "being out of harmony" with the planet, yes, global warming
(which is not a "superstition", but a rather certain theory), may be our downfall.

Harmony--with  nature?  The bible has given ALL of nature over to godly mankind, to do with it as he desires.  All of the living beings are subjugants of mankind's wants and need and whims.   According to your religion, it's not disharmonious to slay as many of the beasts or fish, etc, as we want.  "He" gave them all to us.

New question:  Do you beleive in literal "Creation" as "inerrantly" documented in the bible?  If so, fine.  If not, why do you think the story of Adam and Eve is literal, either?  Did people then really live upwards of a thousand years?  And wot??? No hamburgers???   grin, but I do have a point.

This discussion is now more like a sideshow with some education value only for the very young, or for the very bemused, who like to smile over much ado about nothing.

Reid

Return To Index
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 | Next

1.512s