poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 31-40 of 275
re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  6 Jan 07 7:04PM Post Reply

if you expect to find an "answer" in philosophy, you're always going to be disappointed. you should be happy to even just know a little more than you did before.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  6 Jan 07 8:27PM Post Reply

I've heard that before

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  6 Jan 07 8:32PM Post Reply

and you'll keep on hearing it
because you apparently don't learn

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  6 Jan 07 8:40PM Post Reply

no, I've learned. That doesn't mean I won't stop debating, questioning, and wondering. Why would I stop? There might not be a "right" answer for a given subject that is accepted by everyone, but I can come to my own conclusion about things.

I'm not trying to solve the debate on something like "Is there a God (don't forget the evidence)?" If I solved that with "proof" then I would be famous. I have come to my own conclusions about God, as you have too.

So I ask again, why not ask philosophical questions? They make you think about what you believe and why.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  7 Jan 07 2:15AM Post Reply

With all due respect, this is stupid.

The Bible does dismiss Homosexuality as a sin.

Leviticus 22:
“You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.”
There's no way of getting around it.

And if there was one to believe the Bible to the only and true word of God, then it’s pretty had to make them think that Homosexuality is okay.

And, you know what, that’s okay. nightingale and others have their beliefs, and I have mine own.

My question is. Why is it fair to pick-and-choose what Biblical rules and commandments to adhere to, to believe in and follow, while others are left untouched, not followed and ignored?

Like the Bible condemns homosexuals, it also condemns women (just for one example) :

1 Corinthians 11:7
“For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.”

1 Corinthians 14:34 - 35

“Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.”

Colossians 3:18

“Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.”

The above quotes are all examples of how the Bible condemns or is prejudiced towards women. According to it, women are the glory of men, should not speak in church because that is a shame, and should serve their husbands because God expects it.

However, in today’s society all of these rules are ridiculous, wouldn’t you agree? Of course women aren’t the glory of men. They are humans with minds and capabilities and can do anything. They’re independent, leaders of our nations AND churches. Some even go their life WITHOUT husbands.

These women, however, aren’t shunned and I doubt anyone would walk up to them and say “Well, I respect you as a person, but you do know that God frowns upon you for being… you, right?” At least, I hope not.

This is essentially what happens with homosexuals.
It’s not very fair, if you ask me.
And I don’t think god would want his followers to be unfair….
or if they were men to have long hair:

1 Corinthians 11:14

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Someone should tell my sophomore religion teacher this. I wonder if he knows his long ponytail is a shame in god’s eyes?

Rixes.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  Rixes  7 Jan 07 2:16AM Post Reply

I have a habit of forgetting to log in. Me ^

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  7 Jan 07 7:10AM Post Reply

To understand Bible passages properly, you must also understand passages that come before and after them. Leviticus speaks a lot of rape. Did God lay down that rule in response to just men sleeping with men, or due to sexual depravation, ie: rape?

As far as the New Testament is concerned, Jesus asked that the Word of God be preached to all. Did the disciples preach His word or their own? I have never read where Jesus spoke of homosexuality.  

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  7 Jan 07 9:37AM Post Reply

He never commented on it.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  7 Jan 07 4:20PM Post Reply

First, I do think homosexuality is a sin. Does that mean I am going to treat gay people differently? no. Am I going to stare at them like they are something deformed and scream "You're a sinner, go to hell!" Of course not.

For instance, Mike knows what I believe, but we still get along. He has the freedom of choice in his life and he can decide what he wants to do with it. All I can do is be an example of my faith by how I live and treat others. I will let him know what I believe but after that, the choice is his.

I'm not the one who is supposed to judge, God is.

Now are we moving on to the topic of women in the bible? I do have an opinion on that. You focused on a lot of verses that possibly support the idea that God is prejudiced against women. However, there are other verses that you didn't mention and I think are worthy of discussing.

Later tonight I give that up for debate as well. But right now, I've got seven hours of hw that I have to finish.

till tonight,
julia

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  Rixes  7 Jan 07 4:46PM Post Reply

>
> I'm not the one who is supposed to judge, God is.
>

Heh, but you [Christians] do.

Return To Index
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 | Next

0.954s