poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 121-130 of 275
re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  15 Jan 07 4:39PM Post Reply

Guys, at the beginning of this thread I made clear that I didn't want this to be a bashing each other thread, but one of discussion. It's like you are all seeing who can give the better biting comeback.

I like hearing everyone's opinions. It makes me question my own belief system.

Please respect each other, or at least pretend to. I want discussion, and hot debate but not where it crosses the line into just plain rudeness.

I like hearing everyone's opinions. It makes me question my own belief system.

julia

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  15 Jan 07 5:02PM Post Reply

So you believe that God exists because you feel a need for there to be a God?  God exists because YOU have existential angst?

How arrogant a belief is that?

But then I must wonder, why choose the psychopath Jehovah?  How about Isis, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  Isabelle5  15 Jan 07 5:03PM Post Reply

Nightengale, the law is fulfilled through Jesus Christ, there is no more rule or 'have to.'  Everything from the Lord's death forward is done by free will and grace.  We are all part of the body of Christ, going to a building does not make that more real.  I meet with people where I live, I pray, I read.   If I tithe, it's not because I have to but because I want to.  

Going to church does not make a person more spiritual or give them any benefit but making more friends.  If you feel led to go, by all means, you must.  Those of us who have John the Baptist spirits are just as much part of the Body of Christ.  

None of us get it right.  We all do our best.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  15 Jan 07 5:04PM Post Reply

Sorry, the Existential Angst post was in response to :


Why do you think we need to believe in something bigger?  Could it be that we are born with a need for something beyond what we see and feel?  Not all needs are met through the flesh and the brain, some things call to us from someplace else and if you say you don't feel that call at all, I find it hard to imagine a life so fulfilled through the senses that that would satisfy.

I'm not saying you are a liar but it's hard to imagine anyone without a quest for filling that emptiness that nothing on Earth ever seems to completely fill.

imc

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  netskyIam  15 Jan 07 5:15PM Post Reply

If all Christians were as meek and polite at nightengale and Isabelle,
and if they did not ask others to believe their fabled ways,

I'd have no objection to the self deluders.

But nowadays, I think it's time, high time, for rationalists to prosletize;
we've been so relatively meek and "respectful", ourselves.

Now the world is pitching onward toward self destruction
fueled most largely by to opposing sects of brutal intolerance.

OURS is the be-all-end-all.  And indeed, the USA has millions who crave for a biblical finale.  

Some of these kooks run amok in the Federal Government,
not so much because they 'believe' they should do these things,
such as a tactical first strike with nukes on Iran (coming soon, most likely).
but because they can warp US public opinion by leading the sheep of the rabid Christian Right.

It's pretty scary to have to contend with two forces of terrorism at once.

Who's not terrified?  Ah, the lambs of the lord, expecting Rapture when the boil bursts.

And it will!  Once we set a world-example by dropping a couple of very small nuclear bombs to take out strategic Iranian sites (nuclear sites), then the whole second and third worlds will be in on the nukey arms race,

and some of them will use these bombs on their neighbors.

And when this happens the world economies will shut down.

And inside of a few more days, absolute chaos will rule the entire world
and there will be no law, no order, and only the most die-hard survivalists may be around a month later to survey the now-dying Earth

as everything goes kaphlooey.  And so  you know,
America is going to be the world's leader to the very end.

The end is near!  (I hope not, but I can't feel differently.

And GOD has done it, after all.

righhht.

amen   able

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  Isabelle5  15 Jan 07 5:17PM Post Reply

It's a scientific fact that the near death experience can be made to happen by touching certain areas of the brain with a probe.  Some scientists feel that there is a biological reason for our beliefs, that it's a genetic predisposition to believe in a god and to have spiritual experiences.  There is a lot of research that is on-going and it's as valid as any other scientific finding.

Don't say out of hand that nothing else exists that might be called God.  Remember that people once said the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around us.  If some of us have found our God, it does not diminish your beliefs at all.  And the fact that some of you do not believe in God does not diminish what some of us call Truth.

Why does it have to be a fight to prove who is right?  We can both be right at this moment.  Ultimately, someone will be proved right but until then, it's all a debate and then it's just about how we walk our paths.  

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  15 Jan 07 5:41PM Post Reply

But what if Jesus said to tithe? and to be a part of the church? I'm not saying "GO TO CHURCH AND TITHE OR GO TO HELL!!" haha...that would be absurdly funny but that's not my point.

I don't think "going to church" makes you more spiritual, but it does help you grow. If you feel there is absolutely nothing that you can gain from being a part of the body of christ (aka- the church) then by all means, don't- I personally feel there is a lot to gain besides potlucks and choir gossip.

And tithing...Jesus talk about it and I think it's important to take into consideration what he says about it, but it's your choice.

This whole last post is pretty much my personal opinion by the way.

julia

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  netskyIam  15 Jan 07 6:05PM Post Reply

Hi Isabelle, you said:
>Why does it have to be a fight to prove who is right?

It's not that, because I wouldn't care what people think, were it not for the world and society and family-destructive results.

The fundamentalist family who rejects their gay son.  The boy kills himself.
This happens every day, probably.

The wars, the claims made in the name of god,

alll that jism--you know.

That's about it for me.

We all hope we've planted viable seed here.

Thanks for listening, all.

Reid

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  15 Jan 07 7:09PM Post Reply

> Hi Isabelle, you said:
> >Why does it have to be a fight to prove who is right?
>
> It's not that, because I wouldn't care what people think, were it
> not for the world and society and family-destructive results.
>
> The fundamentalist family who rejects their gay son.  The boy kills
> himself.
> This happens every day, probably.
>
> The wars, the claims made in the name of god,
>
> alll that jism--you know.
>
> That's about it for me.
>
> We all hope we've planted viable seed here.
>
> Thanks for listening, all.
>
> Reid

Reid, your place in heaven is assured.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  starr  15 Jan 07 8:11PM Post Reply

Hmmm...I'm one of those people who's never even read the Bible cuz I really don't even know who wrote it.  Therefore, I don't look at it as "The Word" or "The Law."  Who knows who even wrote it other than what we've been told all our lives by our parents and their parents and so on on so forth.  I live life this way:  I'm good to others and others are good to me.  I treat people with respect and I don't even know what "slutting around" is because I've never indulged.  I DO, however believe in God and God loves me just the way I am.  Happy, respectful, honest and gay.  That's all I gotta be.  If people don't like me for who I am, then they're the ones who lose out because I would make anyone a friend for a lifetime.  Besides, this gay guy is fully, fully embraced at work by all the straight guys and it's because I don't walk around hitting on 'em.  But I DO tell 'em all how lucky their girlfriends are and they love me for that.  Like I said, I'm honest and I'm loveable and that's all I gotta be.  I don't give a shit about the Bible.  For all I know, it could be bullshit.  I wasn't there when it was written.  I'm from the "believe what you wanna" school as long as y'don't hurt yourself or anyone else.  'Nuff said.

Return To Index
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 | Next


1.123s