poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 101-110 of 275
re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  14 Jan 07 1:09AM Post Reply

God protects his word because he wants us to have a guide for life- so we can learn and become more like him.

"young women" back then didn't sleep around- they were virgins. not only that, but it speaks of mary being a virgin, that she hadn't slept with any man.

>the bible means what ever you want it to mean and if you take the word of some >preacher for what it means you are an idiot.

that's why you make sure that the pastor uses his verses and references in context. taking them out of context is not something a good pastor does, and people shouldn't just listen to a pastor preach and take his word- they should read the bible for themselves as well to hold the pastor accountable.

julia

What the Bible really says  netskyIam  14 Jan 07 9:12AM Post Reply

"God protects his word because he wants us to have a guide for life-
so we can learn and become more like him."

----

excerpted from:
http://www.inu.net/skeptic/bloody.html

THE BLOODY BIBLE

by Louis W. Cable

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew,
I am doing the Lord's work.

Adolf Hitler



Robert G. Ingersoll, the great nineteenth century agnostic and philosopher, put it succinctly when he said, "Somebody ought to tell the truth about the Bible!" The Bible, characterized by many as that "most uniquely consistent of all books," is, in reality, a horrible story of murder, torture, rape, incest and genocide. The law of Moses, i.e., the Moasic code, is male supremacist, patriarchal and, above all, requires blind obedience to a deity who, as it turns out, is often immature, fickle and inconsistent. The blood of innocent victims drips from practically every page. It is filled with the most repulsive atrocities all of which are committed in the name of God

Killing, much of it nothing more than senseless murder, is just business as usual in the Bible, euphemistically known as the "Good Book" . The unvarnished truth is that killing, or the threat of killing, most of it totally irrational, occurs unabated throughout the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. In fact, the notion that the Bible is a perfect guide to morality is nothing short of ludicrous, given the contents of the book. Human sacrifice, genocide, slavery, and misogyny are consistently celebrated. The oft quoted sixth commandment, "Thou shalt not kill," is routinely and consistently ignored....

It is so much fun!  netskyIam  14 Jan 07 9:32AM Post Reply

That link above is easy, breezy writing.  
PLUS, the points are all made on fact: the literal words of the bible,
most of which need no pastoral "interpretation".

What will Pastor Feelgood say about all of this?

re: What the Bible really says  unknown  14 Jan 07 4:43PM Post Reply

> "God protects his word because he wants us to have a guide for life-
> so we can learn and become more like him."
>
> ----
>
> excerpted from:
> http://www.inu.net/skeptic/bloody.html
>
>  THE BLOODY BIBLE
>
> by Louis W. Cable
>
> Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of
> the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew,
>  I am doing the Lord's work.
>
> Adolf Hitler
>
>
> Robert G. Ingersoll, the great nineteenth century agnostic and
> philosopher, put it succinctly when he said, "Somebody ought to tell
> the truth about the Bible!" The Bible, characterized by many as that
> "most uniquely consistent of all books," is, in reality, a horrible
> story of murder, torture, rape, incest and genocide. The law of Moses,
> i.e., the Moasic code, is male supremacist, patriarchal and, above
> all, requires blind obedience to a deity who, as it turns out, is
> often immature, fickle and inconsistent. The blood of innocent victims
> drips from practically every page. It is filled with the most
> repulsive atrocities all of which are committed in the name of God
>
> Killing, much of it nothing more than senseless murder, is just
> business as usual in the Bible, euphemistically known as the "Good
> Book" . The unvarnished truth is that killing, or the threat of
> killing, most of it totally irrational, occurs unabated throughout the
> Bible from Genesis through Revelation. In fact, the notion that the
> Bible is a perfect guide to morality is nothing short of ludicrous,
> given the contents of the book. Human sacrifice, genocide, slavery,
> and misogyny are consistently celebrated. The oft quoted sixth
> commandment, "Thou shalt not kill," is routinely and consistently
> ignored....

Well evidenced by the tale of Abraham, a homicidal, genocidal, maniac who also commits adultery, forces his pregnant lover off into the desert in the hope that she will die. He also hears voices and has visions from 'God' which instruct him to kill his son, and he was going to commit that crime except he has more visions telling him not to kill his son. This is the type of person that 3 major religions hold up as a man of God. But being Gay is evil and will condemn you to hell. The day they list the Bible as an R rated violent porno fantasy will be a great one for mankind

re: What the Bible really says  unknown  14 Jan 07 5:35PM Post Reply

The posts for this thread made on the 12th of January have all disappeared. I made a comment on that day and now it's gone

re: What the Bible really says  unknown  14 Jan 07 5:37PM Post Reply

> The posts for this thread made on the 12th of January have all
> disappeared. I made a comment on that day and now it's gone

Praise the Lord for small mercies.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  Isabelle5  15 Jan 07 11:19AM Post Reply

Nightengale, I am a Christian, too, so don't take this wrong but to say that God can protect His word is like saying He can take care of His garden.

Of course He can but He put this into man's hands, free will, our brains that can misinterpret even a glance from a stranger!  How much more can we misinterprest His own words!  

I believe God wants us to THINK about what He's saying, to put it into context, not just blindly go by what the pastors tell us.  I watch Sunday TV sometimes and I am sick to death of preachers telling people why have to fast, they have to pay "seed faith money" so God will bless them and all the other stupid, stupid things they believe God has put forth.

Fasting should be done only when you are so bothered by something that you lose your appetite and can't do a thing but pray, not for any other reason.  If the church is selling a tape, SELL IT, don't say it's yours for a Love Gift.

I believe the things of the Bible happened, unless it says they were examples only.  But I do not trust any man living on the Earth today to have translated God's mind exactly.  We are not judged on exactitude, we are asked to think, make decisions based on morality and common sense, not blindly.

The old and new testaments were for different people.  The old is Law, showing us all the things we needed to do under our own power, which could of course not be done perfectly.  The New testament is like the reading of God's will, Jesus is already come and gone, we are now under grace, as the law has been fulfilled.

I think your key comment is the clincher - ask Him about it and don't give up.

Isabelle

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  15 Jan 07 12:38PM Post Reply

even christians cannot make up their mind about the nature of god

the need to believe trumps the need for truth every time in most people



thanku

st3ntorian

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  netskyIam  15 Jan 07 1:48PM Post Reply

> even christians cannot make up their mind about the nature of god
>
> the need to believe trumps the need for truth every time in most
> people
>
>
>
> thanku
>
> st3ntorian

Applause for that.  Clear and sensible: the need to believe trumps the need for truth every time in most people

Here--you said it so well.  Adding "in most people" really qualifies the logic perfectly.

Most people suffer from an innate -need to make things fit their wants-

Religion does just that.   But I can't phrase anything to add here, not nearly so well as S just did.

Thanks,
Reid

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  Isabelle5  15 Jan 07 1:55PM Post Reply

Why do you think we need to believe in something bigger?  Could it be that we are born with a need for something beyond what we see and feel?  Not all needs are met through the flesh and the brain, some things call to us from someplace else and if you say you don't feel that call at all, I find it hard to imagine a life so fulfilled through the senses that that would satisfy.

I'm not saying you are a liar but it's hard to imagine anyone without a quest for filling that emptiness that nothing on Earth ever seems to completely fill.

imc

Return To Index
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 | Next


1.012s