poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index 1-10 of 275
The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  5 Jan 07 7:54PM Post Reply

Rules:

1. No bashing others. This is a thread for discussion and debate to further our understanding about the topic.
2. Only post if it pertains to the topic.
3. Respect others.

Questions:

1) What does the Bible say about Homosexuality?

*What is said in this first post is not my personal opinion. I might add that later if anyone really wants to know :)

a) 1 Corinthians 6:9

“Do you know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor male prostitutes no homosexual offenders no thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Homosexual offenders: (Greek root def.) One engaging in homosexual acts.

b) Romans 1:24

“Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.

Romans 1:26

“Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.”

notes: This is saying that God gave humans the choice to follow him or not. Because of the freedom of choice, humans suffered the consequences.

c) Leviticus 18:22

“Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.”

lie with: (to lie with, sleep with; an euphemism of sexual intercourse)

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  mikebauer  5 Jan 07 7:57PM Post Reply

since the word homosexual is in the title of this thread, and since i'm homo, i feel that i should at least look at this post. what's said seems simple and straight forward. i don't see the problem: it's like the civic code of a town... this is what the law says. i don't want to live in that town, but i do believe it is true that the laws are as written here. what's the problem? it's nothing to me as long as you don't force me to live by those laws, and you seem very easy with people.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  5 Jan 07 8:05PM Post Reply

I am not going to even TRY to make you follow these rules. You can live the way you choose. You know what I believe and I know what you believe- that's good enough for me.

I just posted this for a few people who wanted to know what the Bible said about homosexuality.

I'm glad you don't think this is a personal attack on gay people. It's not. I was afraid I would have half of PC ranting and raving, outside of my house with torches and pitchforks. lol....who knows- they still might be.

:)julia

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  mikebauer  5 Jan 07 8:24PM Post Reply

well, what actually bothers me about the dialog here is that there is scholarly work done on the topic, and your critics don't seem to have read them. also, there's this thing, this radical movement, that says "who wants to be normal anyway?" and that's a divisive topic in the community. like, even if they were accepted in the church and accepted as married, would the normal gays still be queer? and i think they'd just be normal people who did funny things with sex, and very boring.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  5 Jan 07 8:33PM Post Reply

hahaha....

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  5 Jan 07 9:13PM Post Reply

if you are gay that is normal for you.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  5 Jan 07 9:23PM Post Reply

Genisis 19:8
    I have two daughters who have never had intercourse with men. Let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them as you please. But don't do anything to these men, for you know they have come under the shelter of my roof."

Genisis 19:32
    Come, let us ply our father with wine and then lie with him, that we may have offspring by our father."

Was Lot and his daughters punished for these things? Doesn't say so in the bible does it?  I guess that means it is OK, supposed to be done.

We all know you shouldn't give your virgin daughters away for sexual favors just to protect a guest. and that daughters should not fuck their fathers.  But the BIBLE seems to condone the behavior.

My point is that the bible is a bunch of disconnected stories written by people who did not know better and simply describing what they saw happening around them.  

The bible is not a set of rules to be followed.  

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  5 Jan 07 9:25PM Post Reply

Quoting the bible is like quoting nostrodamus or shakespeare or dickens
the works are so great that you can find something on every subject in all the books.

lol pulling out quotes is the same as finding codes in the bible.  

bs

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  nightengale  5 Jan 07 9:31PM Post Reply

This is a bit off topic and why I didn't add this verse to the rest I posted.

actually, I just read this today.

Lot was protecting two men (angels) sent by God. I believe that he didn't know how to deal with the situation and was desperate. I don't think he really wanted his daughters raped. They did tend to treat the women more as property back then.

The bible does not condone that behavior in any way. I wonder if his daughters did end up being raped and Lot allowed that, he might of been punished....good thing they weren't.

re: The Bible and Homosexuality  unknown  5 Jan 07 11:20PM Post Reply

no they just raped him LOL

what guff

Return To Index
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 | Next

1.274s